Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

mithin (engineer)     26 September 2015

Coming to india after dv case filed against me

Hello Law experts,

I am working in US over an year, I married almost three years ago and we were together for 4 months(in interval). we had a kid now, however there is no communication at all between mywife and me. 

lot of issues happened between us to be simple I briefly mentioned in two lines.

coming to the problem:

As usual, my wife wanted me to drag into trouble, hence she filed a DV case against my entire family and sent summon through court. I was there in US, I have given power of attory to one of my family member and they are appraing to court for evert trial without fail.

I had plan to visit india to meet my aged parents, somehow mywife came to know about this matter and her lawyer told this in court in front of judge. 

My question:

Will be there any issue like blocking my passport for not deparding from india again?

Is there any way to avoid this? 

Please suggest.

Learning

11 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     26 September 2015

No, there would not be any problem in return to US in the case u/s 12 of POWFDV Act, 2005

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     26 September 2015

Your level of trouble will depend how well your wife's advisors are enlightened.

KS Johal   26 September 2015

It also depends on what she has written in the case against you. I also agree with Sudhir Kumar. Which passport do you hold?

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     26 September 2015

In the meantime she should not file 498A,which could lead U into legal troubles for returning back immediately.But even in DV case mere giving POA will not fetch U relief.UR presence will be required at the time of cross examination,which cannot be done to a POA holder.

NATARAJAN IYER (Proprietor)     26 September 2015

@ Mithin

Neither the Police nor the Courts can impound your passport.

Briefly, it can be seized.

Read this court verdict here and then the remaining part.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Madurai/neither-police-nor-court-can-impound-passports/article4339523.ece

Read this and then the last line.

Technically, Legally, there should NOT be any problem for you.

But, the law has many sections. 

Each section has loop-holes too.

So, it all depends on your advocate and how well he/she convinces the court that you are law-abiding and are NOT EVADING/ NOT ABSCONDING.

In a criminal matter, POA does not hold validity.

See, one thing though. Nobody, except for similar victims would believe that a wife files a case without any reason.

But experienced people, people with common understanding of human life, legal professionals and normal members of society know that anybody can attempt anything, whether it succeeds or fails.

So, even before you touch down India, send a post from abroad, by regular speed post through the United States Postal Service, a letter to the Inspector of Police, listing the case number and mentioning that 

YOU SHALL BE DUTY-BOUND and CO-OPERATE WITH THE LAW ENFORCEMENT AND LEGAL AUTHORITIES for any legal activity in this matter.

Also mention that

YOUR CAREER AND EARNINGS ARE THE ONLY MEANS TO SUSTAIN YOU and HENCE KEEPING IN MIND THE IMPORTANCE OF YOUR CAREER, IT IS IMPERATIVE that your movement back and forth India and USofA, is not hampered, by any means, whatsoever.

Also mention that

REST ASSURED that I, Mithin, shall continue to remain a law-abiding citizen and shall neither abscond nor evade the law and legal machinery of India.

Mithin, mark a copy of this to the Asst.Commissioner of Police, The Deputy Commissioner of Police and the Commissioner of Police.

Also, mark a copy of this to the Registrar-General at the High Court.

In the letter, the main letter, addressed to the Police Commissioner, say

' copy marked to ' 

and list each of the above along with their office addresses.

Now, this is the safest option where you establish beyond doubt, your intentions to be law-abiding.

So, even if your passport is seized, the very fact that your family has been regular in attendance to the court proceedings, the grounds for argument in your favour becomes strong for your advocate

Your conduct and intentions prove you to be a fit case to have your passport released, even if seized.

BE BRAVE

BE BOLD

THINK POSITIVELY

WISH GOOD FOR ALL

TRUTH ALONE WINS

GOD IS GREAT

K.S.Srinivas (Advisor (HR))     27 September 2015

It all depends on the merits and demerits of the case/s etc.

mithin (engineer)     28 September 2015

Originally posted by : KS Johal
It also depends on what she has written in the case against you. I also agree with Sudhir Kumar. Which passport do you hold?

I have India passport.

mithin (engineer)     28 September 2015

Thanks a lot Natarajan sir for your advise, it is very informative and helpful.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     02 October 2015

If there is a case under the said act alone then here is nothing to worry about the passport issue or immigration issue while returning to US.  By the way how did you give POA in the criminal case as a respondent to somebody which is not permissible in law.  

NATARAJAN IYER (Proprietor)     02 October 2015

@ Advocate Kalaiselvan Excellent observation. We have each missed to see that point. Excellent. Yes Mithin, how did you give a PoA in a criminal case ? How ? Again, to add, Advocate Kalaiselvan, unless there is a requisition formally accompanied by a proper legal record, the passport officer ( authority ) may or may not impound the passport. Police and court can only temporarily seize the passport. That is what the honourable judge too has observed in the case mentioned in the link given in my comment to mithin's post. But, the PoA matter totally escaped our attention. In our desire to address concerns of humanity, suspicious points escape our attention. So we need to be double-alert, before answering queries. hmmm... Anyway, thanks for the quick observation Advocate Kalaiselvan. Good Job

jaig   17 November 2015

Mithin,

My situation is exactly similar to yours, or was few months back. All the best.

PM me if you need any advice.

thanks.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register