LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

RAJALAKSHMI   17 November 2017

Co applicant in home loan

My niece going for divorce on mutual consent. My niece is co -applicant for her husband for the purchase of flat on loan from HDFC bank. Till date he has not paid the whole loan amount. The HDFC bank says that even after getting divorce , my niece continous to be the coapplicant for the loan till he (the husband)changes the coapplicant. They have nothing to do with the divorce. The divorce is expected in 30 days. How can we get protection under law for the loan taken by the husband after divorce.

Learning

8 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     17 November 2017

Apply to Legal Services authority making the Husband and the bank as parties and get an award passed relinquishing all her rights and responsibilities for the Bank loan.  This may not cost single rupee, but the husband must provide alternate co-applicant / co-obligation of equal or more than net worth of the existing co-applicant.

Thank you sir

Thank you sir

Kumar Doab (FIN)     17 November 2017

After divorce if Ex. Wife does not become Co-applicant and signs as Co-applicant in any loan document her liability is NIL, Zero.

For current loan if the exclusion of wife was inserted in T&C for MCD then press these or resolve this matter  also with the husband.

Since you have agreed on recourse thru MCD resolve all matters and don’t leave any heartburn for future. Agree to give up title/share/claim on property also. The husband may agree.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     18 November 2017

I respectfully disagree with the advise of Mr. GLN Prasad.

Legal Services Authority do not enjoy any such powers to over-ride the decision of Family Court granting divorce with mutual consent of the parties. LSA can not assume jurisdiction suo moto and/or on an application to implead Bank and ex-husband as advised. 

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     18 November 2017

Your niece has to make a condition for relinquishment of her share in the flat as well as in the loan, wherein she is co-applicant in the settlement deed with her husband, before final decree of mutual consent divorce, otherwise the banker (lender) shall be entitled to recover outstanding amount from both/either of them.

Alternatively both of them (your niece and her husband) must repay the loan and get it endorsed in the title documents of the property before parting their ways.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     18 November 2017

If husband and wife compromise on certain settlements like husband exclusively taking up the loan, they can enter into compromise and get the award through LSA.  My advice is confined to this single point alone.

RAJALAKSHMI   19 November 2017

Thank u all

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register