LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rangachari (Retd Officer)     26 May 2015

Clarification sought regdg post office claim

My uncle and aunt were pensioners of State Govt of Tamil Nadu and invested their retiring benefits in Post office MIS a/cs with interest credited to SB a/c of my uncle opened in Nineties. 3 Regular RD A/cs were also opened in joint names with EorS facility and got matured in Sep 2013 and credited to SB a/c of my uncle. My uncle expired in Dec 2013. The entire MIS are changed to my aunt name except the proceeds in SB a/c since nomination details are not traceable at Post office, My aunt is the sole legal heir and legal certificate is also optained from Tahsildar's office.

The Post master at Tiruvallur where the SB A/cs are maintained is refusing to accept claim under legal hairship but insists on Succession certificate for more than 1 lac rupees..

When all Financials and Banks accept claim on legal heirship, why Post Office is denying claim on Legal hairship? 

We presume that the legal hair certificate is also a Succession certificate.

Under these circumstances, kindly advice us to claim the amount which is around Rs 4 lacs, since obtaining succession certificate takes time and costs more.

Thanking you in advance.

Learning

2 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     26 May 2015

You are grossly wrong.

Even in Bank's in case the deceased depositor a/c is without nomination then beyond threshold limit Bank shall ask succession Certificate.Upto a limit BM/Bank may accept surity (ies)/Indemnity.

You may go thru RBI guidelines in 'Master Circular on Customer Services'.

Likewise PO has its own rules that are available on website and can be seen with Sub Post Master also.

If the nomination is registered then regfistration number should have been recorded on passbook.

Loss of nomination record is deficiency of PO and you can agitate.

ADV-JEEVAN PATIL, MUMBAI ( DEEMED/CONVEYANCE OF BUILDING)     27 May 2015

If u have proof of nomination regd. Show them. If not consult for Consultation on Email: jeevansci@yahoo.com after 3rd June since busy. Pl bear with me.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register