Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Arun (Officer)     17 September 2014

Clarification for breaking wedding engagement.

I request you to kindly provide an advice on below mentioned issues.

Myself Arun from Chennai and currently working in Coimbatore, a divorcee in terms of marital status. Recently i got engaged to the girl from other district of Tamilnadu state who is also a divorcee, but now when we are in arranging of marriage at temple and as per the procedure we asked about the divorce decree original copy but they are not able to provide and even dont have the copy at all. They have the copy of a separation written in front of notary and Protection officer, domestic violence 2005. Since they dont have legal court divorce orders we are planning to stop marriage at this stage.

My concern is whether i can break the engagement due to non availability of divorce orders from bride side ?

Whether they can go ahead with police complaints against us as we have done marriage engagements and written in papers as per our hindu customs.
Worried whether police will take action against us for breaking the engagement ?

If the brides parents give police complaint against us, is we liable to arrest ?

We are planning to break the engagement since the bride is not in the possession of divorce decree given by court. I have my original copy of divorce given from court.

If we break the engagement do we have to get it in writing ? do i need to give notice about this information to police / women police station before going to break the engagement ?

Whether law permits me to break the engagement ?

Learning

1 Replies

Laxmi Kant Joshi (Advocate )     17 September 2014

yes it is advisable to break the engagement on the ground that bride had failed to produce the divorce decree of her previous marriage , equally informed your relatives also , she will not go to police she knows very well that she was playing fraud with you , you don't worry cancelled the engagement, give in writing the information and reason of breaking your marriage to the authority of temple and take the receiving from them .

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register