Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

RanaNair123 (ABC)     22 January 2018

Claim on property from father bought by selling family prope

Hi,

My Father owns a 80 cents of land. He was a class 1 officer. He bought this land through his income but major of money for this was by selling ancestral property from Mother's Side. Because we remeber signing documents when we were 14 years. 

My question is that, is it possible for us to claim for equal share even if he writes a will 

with unequal share.

Rana

Learning

11 Replies

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     22 January 2018

The mother's side property is not at all Ancestral property either for you or for your father.  (Why you were asked to sign on the documents is not understandable. Perhaps it might have been due to abundant precaution of the buyer. But has no legal basis or reaquirement.) Therefore, it cannot be said that your father purchased the property out of sale proceeds of ancestral property.  You cannot claim any share in the property, when your father is alive.  Your father has absolute right to do whatever that he wants to do with the property.  If he WILLs it out to somebody by excluding someone, it is his prerogative and it cannot be questioned.

Hi ramachandran. Thanks fir the reply. I thought children has more right in mothers ancestral property as per hindu law.

Hi ramachandran. Thanks fir the reply. I thought children has more right in mothers ancestral property as per hindu law.

Thanks for the information. What i forgot to mention was was my mother got her share of her ancestral property which was eventually sold by my father and bought new set of land

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     22 January 2018

My above reply is after factoring in the fact that your mother got her share of her ancestral property.

The property loses its ancestral character once it comes into the hands of your mother.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     22 January 2018

It is believed that all involved are Hindu.

The personal law, succession laws that apply in your case may matter.

Confirm!

Kumar Doab (FIN)     22 January 2018

Your mother got the share from her parents family and handed over to her spouse..

How ould you establish that the money was intended for  share puchase of property for equal share to all children ...

Instead pursuade the father for equal share....with love and affection and service 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register