Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gomes Agnelo (Home based)     22 June 2016

Chq bounce case sec 138 what is the legal procedure?

Sir,
I had lent money to a person, supposedly a unregistered real estate agent, who promised me for a 2BHK flat for a consideration mutually agreed upon. Based on his assurance, i lent him Rs 18L in total until date. From this 17.50L was by cheques and the balance 50K was taken in cash. This was issued to him in phases within a period of 6 months.

Within two months, after having given him Rs 9.75L, He prepared a MOU for the same amount, which was notarised on a Rs 100/- stamp paper. Thereafter, the balance chqs were released to him in phased manner over a period of next 4 months. But there is no notarised MOU for the balace 8.25L which together amounts to Rs 18L in total.

Having suspected his ulterior motives afater 6 months, we began to question him and asked for refund, so he issued us two chqs of Rs 3L and 15L each dtd 18th March and 25th March 2016. Both have bounced for insufficient funds.

My question is:
1. Can i issue the accused suspect a legal Notice under sec 138 NIA and simultaneously lodge an FIR
2. Can i legally get the Rs 50K which i lent him in cash or only the 17.5 which was given by chqs
3. Can i claim for interest and the legal charges for hiring the lawyer
4. How long will the criminal case take and will i be assured of getting the money back or there is no assurance for recovery even by legal methods
5. Once i lodge an FIR, file a criminal case, can i withdraw the case if the accused reimbursed the amt
6. If there is no full solution by legal means, is muscle power required in such a case to presurrise the accused

Experts please give valid and reasonable solutions. Awaiting for sound advice

Learning

6 Replies

Kappil Cchandna (Expert Bail & Criminal Defence Lawyer at Delhi Supreme Court of India)     22 June 2016

Sir, Don't delay much ... Send him a legal notice and don't think the things which are supposed to be thought at the time of trial .... Sometimes legal notices are helpful in getting ur money back..... Warm Regards Kapil Chandna Advocate 9899011450

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     22 June 2016

Already you delayed for issue of legal notice.It is supposed to issue within 15 days from the date of cheque bounce bank memo.Any how give police complaint at least now.

advocatepassy@gmail.com 971794 (Advocate)     22 June 2016

Legal notice has to be sent to the person within 15 days of the voicing off the cheque and the case has to be filled within one month

Legal notice has to be sent to the person within 15 days of the voicing off the cheque and the case has to be filled within one month

Pratap K Pushpakaran (Advocate)     23 June 2016

When a cheque is dishonoured, the drawee bank immediately issues a ‘Cheque Return Memo’ to the banker of the payee mentioning the reason for non-payment. The payee’s banker then gives the dishonoured cheque and the memo to the payee. The holder or payee can resubmit the cheque within three months of the date on it, if he believes it will be honoured the second time. However, if the cheque issuer fails to make a payment, then the payee has the right to prosecute the drawer legally.  

The Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881 is applicable for the cases of dishonour of cheque. This Act has been amended many times since 1881. 

According to Section 138 of the Act, the dishonour of cheque is a criminal offence and is punishable byimprisonment up to two years or with monetary penalty or with both. 

If payee decides to proceed legally, then the drawer should be given a chance of repaying the cheque amount immediately. Such a chance has to be given only in the form of notice in writing. 

The payee has to sent the notice to the drawer with 30 days from the date of receiving “Cheque Return Memo” from the bank. The notice should mention that the cheque amount has to be paid to the payee within 15 days from the date of receipt of the notice by the drawer. If the cheque issuer fails to make a fresh payment within 30 days of receiving the notice, the payee has the right to file a criminal complaint under Section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act. 

However, the complaint should be registered in a magistrate’s court within a month of the expiry of the notice period. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register