LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

arun   21 October 2015

Choosing mother caste

I am a child of inter-caste marriage couple father- sc, mother- Nair, can i choose caste of my mother? in kerala,  the children born in nair family adopt their mothers family name and caste. 

Learning

8 Replies

advocatepassy@gmail.com 971794 (Advocate)     21 October 2015

Yes, you can and it is allowed in your community also
1 Like

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     22 October 2015

What is written in your school or govt documents?

arun   22 October 2015

SC in sslc book, Is it legally possible to change my caste to nair?

Dr Shahid Nadeem (Dentist)     23 October 2015

Please refer to supreme Court's latest judgment in which court deal with the same questions in inter caste marriage.... Rameshbhai Dabhai Naika vs state of Gujrat & others ( civil appeal No 654 of 2012)

B.K.Hedaoo (Retired Dy. Secretary. Govt. of Maharashtra)     10 November 2015

It is customary that a child acquires caste by birth from his father. However, there are few communities in which a child acquires the caste of mother.

A child born to a prostitute, whose father cannot be identified, should be given the caste of its mother.   

However, in case of a child which is ababdoned and whose caste is not known, the caste of the family which has taken its care should be given to it.

The case of adoption also, the caste of the adoptive father should be given to child.

In case of women, it was a proctice in India that after marriage the women acquired the caste of her husband. This was not applicable for the keeps.

It is learnt that the court have ruled, probably only for the purpose of SCs and the STs, that women may not acquire the caste of her husband.    

In case of leave and licence matters the women cannot acquire the caste of her partner.

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     11 November 2015

Children born to inter-caste couples are eligible to seek reservation benefits irrespective of the gender of the parent availing reservation or from the mother's linage also.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     12 November 2015

Normally it is father and father alone whose caste status is tranferred to the  child.

probably you belong to a matrirchial society.

please see the practice followed by other members of your community.

1 Like

arun   07 July 2017

thankyou sir

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register