Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ananya B Satish (Team Manager)     05 March 2013

Cheque information

Hello All,

I have a query and I would like to know your opinion for me to decide on the course of action.

My sister and brother in law were looking for property to buy when they got in touch with a builder who had convinced them to pay an amount of 100000 rupees as a booking amount on last Sunday. However they had handed over a post dated cheque (following tuesday) to them. While enquiring about the builder with our friends we get to know that the land on which they are going to construct the appartment, has not been registered yet and sensed a case of fraudulent. 

Immediately we had called the bank and stopped the cheque however my sister's father in law had given us a wrong cheque number by error which we realised about that only on Tuesday after the amount was already cleared from the account.

We went to builder asking for the money, they said they will hand over a cheque of 100000 rupees only after 3 days and that will be post dated and can be encashed after 90 days.

Is there anything we can or need to do from our end?

Learning

1 Replies

Prasun Chandra Das (Banker)     05 March 2013

Assuming your relatives have a receipt of the chq, I believe action should be taken immediately. If the builder indeed has dubious intentions, the PDC given by him will most likely bounce. Your relatives will not be able to proceeds u/s 138 beacuse this PDC will not be issued to discharge any legal liability, I suggest your relatives consult a lawyer personally/through this forum immediately and send notices to him clearly stating that they wish to cancel the booking and so the money may please be refunded.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register