LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Aditi (Proprietor )     31 January 2015

Change of surname before divorce

Can i change my Surname before getting Divorce from Court as Divorce proceedings are under way i want to put my fathers Surname after my name, and what will be the consequences according to law in divorce proceedings if known to opponent that i have changed my surname, advice please.

Learning

2 Replies

Adv. Nikhil Seth (legal consultant (9867264707))     31 January 2015

changing the surname does not deny the fact that you are married and it has no implication on your divorce proceedings.

All you have to mention before the court about change of name and make necessary amendments in complaints and in divorce proceedings,.

Regards,

ADV. NIKHIL SETH 

Mumbai 

Samir N (General Queries) (Business)     31 January 2015

Agree with the reply above. Right to use any name is solely yours. You may change your first name, middle name, last name, whatever at any time for any reason or no reason (read "some concocted reason"). Marriage or divorce have nothing to do with such matters. That said... the husband can seek a permanent injunction against you from using his surname or name in your name after your divorce if he can show that there is a possibility of misuse or abuse of his name by you.  Looks like you are saving him some trouble. Nice of you...  

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register