Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

vijay (student)     06 February 2011

Change of religion

How can I change my religion legally?

I am hindu. I want to be Sikh. Is it possible legally?

Learning

19 Replies

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     07 February 2011

legaly it is possible. law do not oppose it. it is your fundamental right also.

but  the procedure of convertion not known to me. i haed that they accept one as a sikh by birth only. parsi's also follow same system.

why are you not contacting a gurudwara for athentic information?

if you got please put it here for our information.

Bhawani Mahapatra (Law Officer)     07 February 2011

I think there is no provision of conversion of religion in Hindu Law. Its true that professing any religion is one fundamental right, but changing one's religion from Hindu to any other religion or vice versa is not govern by Hindu Law. Its the society/customs which accept you can better guide you regarding your proposed conversion. Another thing you can note that both Hindus and Sikhs are governed by Hindu Family Law, hence before law there is no conversion.

abhishek (law)     07 February 2011

A person can change his/her religion but it should be in good faith. This is the fundamental right of any citizen of India as Arup sir has already mentioned..

and as far as procedure of conversion is concerned Vijya  u should go any guru dvara r religious place related to religion...

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     13 February 2011

The answer to Mr. Vajay's question is unambiguous emphatic yes, provided the Gurudvara accepts him. And the Gurudvara may accept him.  Many Hindus and Muslims have converted to Sikhism. Some Hindu families in Punjab take a vow that if their child to be born was a son, he will be brought up as a Sikh.

Amit Pateria (Advocate & Consultant (Law) Supreme Court of India New Delhi)     21 February 2011

Hi Vijay,

In our country every citizen has the LIBERTY of thought, expression, belief, faith and worship. The Constitution not only guarantees freedom of religion & conscience, but also ensures freedom to have no religion and scrupulously restrains any discrimination on grounds of religion. It is well-settled that the freedom of conscience and the right to profess a religion implies freedom to change the religion as well. There is no precise definition of religion. ‘Religion’, it is said, is a matter of faith and belief in God is not essential to constitute religion. Conversion - like a marriage - is a solemn act and has far reaching consequences both social and legal, affects succession, marital status and also the right to seek elective office. Divorce can be granted on the ground that the spouse has changed the religion (vide Section 13(1)(ii) of the Hindu Marriage Act) however with reference to the question you have asked legally no specific ritual or ceremony is required for conversion in India.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     21 February 2011

Mr. Vajay has only asked whether it is possible for him to become a Sikh. He has not asked about the merits of such conversion, nor has he asked any question about conversions in general.

As I have already said, he can become a sikh, if he wants to. He will have to undergo the necessary rituals in a Gurudwara. The rituals include atoning for having eaten halal meet at any time, taking a vow not to eat halal meet anymore, washing the feet of Panch Pyaras, five Sikhs from humble walk of life etc.  He may also be asked to adopt a new name. The name will be suggested by the clergy based on the Granth Sahib. The ritual is described in the novel Bhowani Junction. The heroine, Victoria, goes for conversion along with her fiancé, who was a born Sikh, but had long stopped following the religion. She runs away in the middle of the ritual.

There is a picture based on the novel. The Government of India did not give permission to shoot in India, due to protests from the Akalis. The film was shot in Pakistan.

Amit Pateria (Advocate & Consultant (Law) Supreme Court of India New Delhi)     22 February 2011

Dear Vijay,

Guess you have pasted your query i.e. “How can I change my religion legally? I am hindu. I want to be Sikh. Is it possible legally?” on this Lawyers Club of India site seeking a definite legal opinion keeping the legal consequences of your probable decision of conversion.

As far as legal preposition is concerned, there is no specific procedure recognized by the law in India and hence any person willing to convert out of his own free will has to abide the process as well as the procedure (you may call it rituals) as followed in that particular religion one wishes to convert to.

If you want to know in particular what is the method/procedure/rituals you have to undergo for becoming a Sikh, you may probably visit some Gurdwara for first hand authentic and reliable information or CAN WATCH SOME MOVIE [PROBABLY A BANNED ONE IN INDIA] MADE OUT OF SOME BANNED NOVEL, SHOT IN SOME PART OF THIS BEAUTIFUL WORLD.

Hope this helps you Dear Vijay.

Dear Vijay,

Guess you have pasted your query i.e. “How can I change my religion legally? I am hindu. I want to be Sikh. Is it possible legally?” on this Lawyers Club of India site seeking a definite legal opinion keeping the legal consequences of your probable decision of conversion.

As far as legal preposition is concerned, there is no specific procedure recognized by the law in India and hence any person willing to convert out of his own free will has to abide the process as well as the procedure (you may call it rituals) as followed in that particular religion one wishes to convert to.

If you want to know in particular what is the method/procedure/rituals you have to undergo for becoming a Sikh, you may probably visit some Gurdwara for first hand authentic and reliable information or CAN WATCH SOME MOVIE [PROBABLY A BANNED ONE IN INDIA] MADE OUT OF SOME BANNED NOVEL, SHOT IN SOME PART OF THIS BEAUTIFUL WORLD.

Hope this helps you Dear Vijay.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     22 February 2011

Is Mr.Vijay still in the circuit? I would think he has left.

An educated intelligent person can always migrate from one religion to another. The question of conscience is not involved, because one is not doing anything wrong, unless there is an ulterior motive like conversion to Islam to take a second wife etc.

The book Bowani Junction by John Masters is not banned in India. One can get it from a book shop or a website selling books.

Abdul (Process Associate)     17 September 2012

Thanks for each & everyOne to contribute valuable suggestions :

I do have a same problem Please guide me ..

I have converted from HINDU to Islam and I have changed my name in AP GAZATTE As well so is it enough Or should I take any other document which represents I change from hindu to islam ? If Yes, Please assist me .?

In very short, Is there any legal procedure for Change of Religion ?

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     01 October 2012

If you want to convert to sikism go to Gurudwara. For conversion to islam got  to mosque. For conversion as christian go to church. For converting as Hindu come to Arya Samaj Mandir. Every time you want to convert.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     01 October 2012

Mr. Abdul:  You are now a Muslim. You need not do anything more.

Rahul Kapoor (Legal Enthusiast)     05 October 2012

sikhs are also governed by hindu laws..

Chandan Munshi (Sr. Manager)     24 January 2014

I am Muslim boy by birth. I love a girl who is Hindu by birth and we want to marry. She wants to become Muslim. Will you please update me about legal process and time required for this conversion?

Regards,

Chandan

suneet (self employed)     10 November 2014

hello. 

strictly legally speaking ,  suppose:

" i am atheist, i do not want to associate to any religion, can i decline to fill up the religion column in any application form "

please suggest legally 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register