Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

preethy (Nil)     16 February 2015

Change of adopted parents name in birth certificate

Hi,

Currently In my Birth Certificate I have my Natural parents name.

But i need to change it to my adopted parents name.

My adoption is registered legally and it appears in gazette as well.

My natural parents are not supporting us to modify the parents name in birth certificate.

Kindly guide me on the same to change my parents name without the consent of my natural parents.

Thanks,

Preethy

Learning

8 Replies

Kappil Cchandna (Expert Bail & Criminal Defence Lawyer at Delhi Supreme Court of India)     17 February 2015

Dear, There consent is no more required..... Once you have been adopted their role in your life is nothing .... Kapil Chandna Adv 9899011450

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     17 February 2015

A birth certificate gives the names of biological parents if they are known. Biological parents are an identity of the individual and adoptive parents are for legal purposes of rights and obligations. Why is it necessary to change the names in a birth certificate. It is a document of your birth and the names of those who gave birth to you are more relevant there. It does not change. Only your biological parents can vouch for your birth. For all worldly purposes the adoption documents are sufficient.

preethy (Nil)     17 February 2015

Hi Ramani,

Thanks for the information.

But the problem is,I need to include my name in Birth Certificate.

For that,my natural parents are not helping us to give their documents for my name inclusion.

So kindly provide the procedure in this regard.

Thanks,

preethy (Nil)     19 February 2015

Hi chandna, Im not able to view your msg due to some technical reasons. could you pls advise me the procedure of my name inclusion with my adopeted parents in my birth certificate..also thw time taken for this procedure in court? do I need to be here during the process...kindly help me in this regard... or can I mail u in ur personal id seperately ? Thanks..

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     21 February 2015

There is a time for inclusion of one's name in the birth certificate. After that it cannot be done. In what way can your natural parents help you in this matter?

preethy (Nil)     13 March 2015

Hi kapil, For changing my adopted parents name in birth certificate , chennai corporation is asking for court order.also mentioned that the adoption deed alone will not help. Is the court order necessary for this? When I seek my lawyer's advise he doesn't knew how to approach on this case.they have reference fr the cases were the child s still minor.. Also will this procedure takes time?

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     13 March 2015

The reason why some authorities ask for the name of the person in the birth certificate is to prevent the misuse the birth certificate of one’s brother or sister as that of one’s own to gain any advantage of a higher or a lower age. In India very often the name of the child would not have been decided within the time limit for reporting of birth or reporting of name. The name may not be reported for other reasons also. Schools often accept age without production of birth certificate or without name on the birth certificate Also it is difficult to give false date of birth at very young age. Generally the need for date of birth arises when one has to appear for an examination such as the one at the end of the 10th standard. The school enters the date of birth based on what is available in their records. Thereafter the school certificate becomes the birth certificate for most purposes in India. The American consulate often asks for original birth certificate with name for the purpose of application for permanent resident visa (green card). There are many people in India without name in the birth certificate. In the case of very old persons the birth certificate may not even be traceable. One way to solve the problem is to get an age certificate from an approved medical authority. My sister had a birth certificate without her name. My parents were dead. One of our elder sisters much older than my sister gave an affidavit certifying the birth certificate as that of her younger sister. You can get a certificate from your natural parent stating the names of all of your brothers and sisters including those are dead and who died within days and their dates of birth and stating that the relevant birth certificate is that of yours. If your natural parents are not willing you can get it from an elder brother or sister. Even if that is not possible you can yourself execute it. The document should be signed on oath with at least two witnesses, preferably your adoptive parents, before an authority who has the powers to issue probate on wills. Such a document may be sufficient for whatever purpose you need birth certificate with name. At what age were you adopted? Were you adopted with the consent of your natural parents? Did they sign the adoption document? Was your date of birth and name mentioned in the document? If your answer is yes to questions 2, 3 and 4, have you checked whether the adoption document itself could be used as proof of your date of birth?

preethy (Nil)     14 March 2015

Hi ramani..got or point...but I need to know the way to change my adopted parents name in birth certificate..I know this will b done during adoption nowadays...but my case was done long back...so there was only adoption deed with us now...

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register