LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Supratik Bhattacharyya (CEO)     28 April 2010

Census Duty

My wife is a teacher at the Shriram School, Gurgaon. The school has issued a circular to all teachers demanding that they undertake Census Duty during the summer break. The notification says that this is manadatory and refusal could lead to imprisonment upto three years.

To me, this comes across as violation of fundamental rights. Firstly because, the school is neither a municipality or government funded / semi-funded school. Secondly, when the teachers asked about the provision of security while they are at this work, the authorities havent responded.

I wish to understand if this is a legal demand from the municipality and the school? Is this really manadatory, even though she is not a government employee? Is this a punisheable offence if she refuses to undertake this?

Learning

4 Replies

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     28 April 2010

well if it is an essential duty towards nation then there could be some penalties.

better ask the authorities about the notification of the govt which led to such a direction to the teachers.

post the contents over here, we ll give you the interpretation.

Supratik Bhattacharyya (CEO)     28 April 2010

Many thanks for your comments Kiran... I am keen to know if this applies for a "private school teacher". She does not teach in a government school. Is she bound by this notification? Is she "actually" liable to be improsoned if she refuses?

Does it also therefore mean that you, me or anyone can be asked by the government to do so, and if we refuse, we go to jail? Doesnt that sound a little absurd?

sushovan biswas (ASSISTANT TEACHER)     30 April 2010

My problem is I am working as an Enumerator so I have to do extensive field work and the Census act 1948 as amended vide Section 15A assersts that "

No member of the census staff shall suffer any disability

in service by reason of his being on census duty and the period

spent by him on such census duty shall be deemed to be the

duty under his lending employer and any duty performed under

this Act shall not in any manner affect the right of promotion or

other advancement in his original service".Attaching another .doc  file in this order they says I have to work in addition to the normal duties. My Boss tells me he is going to duduct salaries for the days I worked as Enumerator.I also like to add that I am working as assistant teacher in govt. aided school. plz help.

Attached File : 14 14 crieteria for enumerator.doc downloaded: 121 times

(Guest)

please think in general...

"THE SALARY is for SURVIVAL and THE WORK is FOR NATION".

Unfortunately, most of the salaried persons,

"Like to have FIXED SALARY - YES ; Like to give guarantee to do WORK - NO"

Therefore,

There should be no salaried jobs, only "Work and immediate cash on hand". 

Our narion is overloaded while carrying a large number of retired employees enjoying free money in lieu of work? for certain year.  What about the self employed citizens?? 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register