LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Divyanshu   22 June 2017

Cancel marriage after roka

When my friend went to see the groom the first question her uncle asked was if they have any demand, the groom side says tgey have everything and does not believe in dwory, my friend family specifically told them that their financial condition is not good and not to expect a lavishing wedding,the groom side says u don't need to worry about anything , After sometime they asked my friend family to book a very expensive resort for roka ceremony they some how did dat and ceremony went fine,. After some days the groom side ask my friend mother to book the same resort for marriage, my friends mom says that they dont have dat much of budget hearing this the groom side start taking very badly and says that they will called off the wedding. Please suggest wat action my friend shoud take.

Learning

8 Replies

Sachin (N.A)     22 June 2017

No legal action can be taken. It is not illegal if they don't wish to continue the relationship or expecting matrimonial functions / ceramonies to be solemnized at the place of their choice.

Divyanshu   22 June 2017

Thanks for replying Sachin. But is it not breach of trust when the bride side made everything clear at the very start and den forcing them to book a expensive resort, this is also a form of dowry, you are not taken money directly but indirectly forcing bride side to spend otherwise marriage Will be called off.

Sachin (N.A)     22 June 2017

Originally posted by : Divyanshu
Thanks for replying Sachin. But is it not breach of trust when the bride side made everything clear at the very start and den forcing them to book a expensive resort, this is also a form of dowry, you are not taken money directly but indirectly forcing bride side to spend otherwise marriage
Will be called off.

No, This is neither Criminal Breach of Trust not Dowry, these are the custom and traditions prevailing in the society. SC said it may be condemnable but not criminal.

(Guest)
Originally posted by : Sachin
No legal action can be taken. It is not illegal if they don't wish to continue the relationship or expecting matrimonial functions / ceramonies to be solemnized at the place of their choice.

Ask hiim is he a advocate?

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     26 June 2017

It is not illegal to break engagement.

But asking anything as consideration of marraige  - what elese is then dowry.

Goven facts indicate that they demanded lavish marriage beyond capacity or else there will be no marriage.  A perfect example for dowry demand.

Divyanshu   28 June 2017

Yes Sudhir, dowry is not only asking for money, freez, tv and other thing, in any way if you are blackmailing bride side for any demand is same as dowry, one one hand you are saying we dont want tv, freeze and after roka you are saying that marriage should take place in xyz resort and i want 2 functions which is not in budget of bride side. This is clearly blackmail.

Sachin (N.A)     28 June 2017

Yes Sudhir, dowry is not only asking for money, freez, tv and other thing, in any way if you are blackmailing bride side for any demand is same as dowry, one one hand you are saying we dont want tv, freeze and after roka you are saying that marriage should take place in xyz resort and i want 2 functions which is not in budget of bride side. This is clearly blackmail.

No it is not dowry, Mr Sudhir said " that they demanded lavish marriage beyond capacity or else there will be no marriage.  A perfect example for dowry demand"

There is no definition of "Lavish Marriage." Marriage which you consider "Lavish" may be considered "Ordinary" from someone else point of view.

(Guest)
Originally posted by : Sachin

No it is not dowry, Mr Sudhir said " that they demanded lavish marriage beyond capacity or else there will be no marriage.  A perfect example for dowry demand"

There is no definition of "Lavish Marriage." Marriage which you consider "Lavish" may be considered "Ordinary" from someone else point of view.

These terms are legally called harrasing for dowry over and above permissable limits.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register