LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

josh777_123 (n/a)     05 October 2018

Can new owner refuse to honour rental agreement

I am living in a rented apartment in mumbai for last 9 months and by 30-November-2018 the rental agreement will expire.

The rental agreement is signed with previous owner of the flat

The new owner is asking me to vacate the flat by 1-November-2018 without giving any valid reasons. He is saying he is not bound by the rental agreement signed with previous owner and he can order the tenant to vacate the apartment without giving any notice period. In this scenario what are the rights of tenants and what action can be taken by tenat for illegal eviction.

1) Can the future owner ( new owner) ask/order the tenant to vacate the flat with one month notice without giving any valid reasons ( frivolous reasons)?. As per the old owner  he is still the current owner and the ownership is not passed to new owner due to pending payment issue.

2) can the new owner(once he get's possesion of the flat) can order the tenant to vacate the flat without giving any notice period ? or he has to give one month notice ? what is the rule/law regarding this ?

3) can the new owner refuse to honour the rental agreement signed with the previous owner ? Is he legally bind to honour the agreement  or not ?

4) can the new owner force new terms/conditions related to payment date on the tenant. As per the agreement with previous owner  I have to pay rent on 10th of the month but the new owner is insisting to pay on 3rd of the payment. can the new oner use this reason  to vacate the flat?

The rental agreement does not mention on which date the payment to be made but there is oral agreement between me and previous owner to pay on 10th of the month.

Please help to answer above queries ?

Thanks

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register