Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sunil (director)     14 February 2013

Can i refuse my wife entry into my home?

My marriage is just 9 months old. My wife lived with me in our marital home intermittently for 4.5 months and thereafter hasnt come back from her parents' home till date. Now she is making all kinds of rude threats of misusing the law to put me and my old parents in trouble. I am scared about my and my parents' safety.

I know I cannot initiate any legal action till I complete one year of marriage, but can I at least have the right to refuse her entry into my home? If I tell her she is not welcome into my home, can she force me to let her in?  What if she calls the police? The tenancy agreement is only in my name. What are my legal rights here? I am deeply concerned and stressed. Kindly help.

Sunil

Learning

10 Replies

sri (ceo)     14 February 2013

providing her accommodation is your responsible... a tin shed... on the bandra nala...

sureshkumar g r (lawyer)     14 February 2013

Dear suni it is absolutely wrong on your part if you prevent your wife coming to the matrimonial home. Initiating legal steps at this early stage will deepen the crisis. Instead as a lawyer who wishes for a happy matrimonial life i suggest you to have a one to one discussion with your wife without a preconclusive mind. Everything is possible on a discussion. All the best for a happy matrimonial life in the days to come.

Msk-need -nuetral- laws (self)     14 February 2013

It Is too early Sunil, Seek elders help and resolve any disputes, but if she is behaving intolerable level,

just record all her conversation and request her to go ahead with filing cases. Such type of people cannot be corrected,

But for time being you allow her into home and have some patience for resolving disputes and take correct course of actions

(Guest)
Originally posted by : Sunil

My marriage is just 9 months old. My wife lived with me in our marital home intermittently for 4.5 months and thereafter hasnt come back from her parents' home till date. Now she is making all kinds of rude threats of misusing the law to put me and my old parents in trouble. I am scared about my and my parents' safety.

I know I cannot initiate any legal action till I complete one year of marriage, but can I at least have the right to refuse her entry into my home? If I tell her she is not welcome into my home, can she force me to let her in?  What if she calls the police? The tenancy agreement is only in my name. What are my legal rights here? I am deeply concerned and stressed. Kindly help.

Sunil

Safety first !

Send a notice from your lawyer asking her to return back to you say within 15 days or so, before that, take a seperate accomodation elsewhere, rented or leased which has  minimal furnishings, bed, cot, stove, gas connection fan etc bathroom, toilet, water facility.

Now ask her to come to the new place that youve aquired.

As she is all threats and no love, its better that you make that seperate accomodation, otherwise she might end up at your parents place, put false case on you and your parents, why trouble old age parents, go seperate.

Let me know of what happens next.

PS:  Remember you cannot say dont come back to your wife, that would be your first offence which might land you up in jail.

MADURAI LAWYER (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     14 February 2013

Dear Sir,

You can't prevent your wife from getting an entry into her matrimonial house without due process of law. It will invite some legal troubles to you and your family members. Better to settle the matter before she goes to police station or Court of law.

https://www.jeevaganadvocate.com/

(Guest)

You  can very well stop her to enter into your parents house. Your parents can file a civil suit for injunction and bar her entry. There are numerous judgements on this . Daughter-in-law cannot enter or ask for right of residence in parents in laws home. I have practically seen 3-4 cases where wife has been barred to enter into parents in law home.

Another thing is if she tries to enter into your rented accomodation, welcome here there........take a new rented place with minimal facilities...

Start recording all her calls, where she threats you of filing all false cases. Approach local police and inform her behavior to them ( a wirtten letter that she deserted you and is not coming back/joining u and is constantly threatening u).

Harsh (Manager)     14 February 2013

you should never tell her not to enter her matrimonial home

instead, rent a small house and get your address changed. she will never

enter that small house. and on purpose, ensure it is not in a good locality.

if she complains, you can tell she is welcome to come back.

or, you can get a PG contract from some place and tell all that

you live in a PG, when your wife also agrees you will find a place to live with her.

fedupAlot.... (-)     14 February 2013

u use ur wife as toy and throw her by saying not to enter the house..where she will go....u have spoiled her name, her character...it also seems u must have taken her streedhan and other marraige stuff which might me unused as ur marraige is just 9months...better surrender like a true gentleman..or else face the cases.

1 Like

Chetan Joshi (Advisory/Advocacy)     14 February 2013

Your wife has the right to stay with you....

You can consider moving out to a different place or arrange something for your parents...

Regards

Chetan(dot)7679(at)gmail(dot)com

Joseph Wilfred (Voluntarily Retired from Indian Overseas Bank)     22 February 2013

Dear Querrist

WHAT MR. JEEVAGAN ADVOCATE HAD POSTED IN THIS FORUM IS EXACTLY CORRECT . WIFE HAS THE RIGHT TO ENTER INTO HER HUSBAND'S HOUSE . NO COURT CAN PASS EVEN A INTERIM INJUNTION FORBIDDING YOUR WIFE FROM ENTERING HER HUSBAND'S HOUSE . THERE IS A JUDGEMENT IN THIS REGARD . AS MR. JEEVAGAN HAD ADVISED DON'T GET YOURSELF IN TROUBLE IF SHE GOES TO THE POLICE STATION AND LODGES A COMPLAINT AGAINST YOU , AND YOUR PARENTS . AS ADVISED BY OTHERS YOU TAKE A HOUSE ON RENT AND RESIDE SEPARETLY . - JOSEPH WILFRED - 22/02/2013 AT 23.37 HRS.        

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register