Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Asad   02 January 2018

Can a child inherit caste from mother

Hello Sir,

I am a general caste person and my wife comes from OBC family. I want my child to inherit caste from my wife so that they can avail the benefit of reservation during school/college admision and in Gov job. can my child inherit caster from my wife?

Thanks

Asad

Learning

7 Replies

Vijay Raj Mahajan (Advocate)     02 January 2018

No. Children inherit caste from father only not from mother.

Asad   02 January 2018

Thanks for your quick reply.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     02 January 2018

Generically speaking;  Child inherits Father’s caste as opined by Mr. Vijya Raj Mahajan.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     02 January 2018

Such and similar queries have been discussed at LCI earlier also.

Your interest is fetch benefits of reservation to the child for Govt. job.

If IT is state Govt.job then carefully check if the respective state govt has issued any order covering benefit of inter-caste marriages and what is covered within the scope of order!

When you apply for the caste certificate   the O/o Authority may not agree easily to issue caste certificate on the caste of mother. Based on precedence’s yu ay have to approach court of law.

How and under customs of which caste child is being raised may matter e.g' Mother's caste.

Asad   02 January 2018

Thanks for providing more insight to it. I along with spouse and child live in Delhi. We are voter of Delhi. My wife is Ansari which comes under OBC category. 

We are raising our children in Delhi.

Thanks

Asad

Siddharth Srivastava (Advocate)     02 January 2018

Caste is not a subject matter of inheritance. A child is known by his father's name and caste.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     03 January 2018

I have already posted impressions.

For details, references, knowledge you can search in SEARCH option at LCI for discussion on similar matters, GOOGLE, ad ask your own very able senior  LOCAL counsel of unshakable repute and integrity specializing in such/civil matters and having successful track record…..whom you would like to approach and understand the precedences, citations, case laws.... 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register