LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Maaya (None)     07 August 2014

Breech of hr guidlines

I worked for a corporate giant for 4 dreadful months and found no form of satisfaction in my job that had me calling customers and threatening to cut of basic supplies if they didn't pay up. During my work there I began to fall ill very often because of my odd timings and lack of a healthy lifestyle. I decided to quit my job as I was diagnosed of blood deficiency. An experienced senior advised me to serve 15 days in my employee separation forms to which I agreed. Although I was only able to serve 2 days and had to leave for immediate treatment.

While I was away my family received letters asking to pay a compensation of 15,ooo for not serving a 30 day notice period. In a meeting with my manager before I filed my employee separation I had informed my Manager that I will leave for my treatment and 15 days was agreed upon orally.

As per the Terms and Conditions in the HR Handbook:

*You or the company may terminate your appointment and service at any time by giving 30 days written notice r one month's remuneration in lieu thereof. However, due to exigencies of business, the company at its sole discretion may not agree to take the remuneration in lieu of notice and ask you to serve the entire or part of the notice period. No such notice or notice pay shall be payable by the organisation in case your services are terminated on account of any misconduct by you. The company reserves the right to accet your resignation on any date prior to the expiry of the notice period. Once the company has accepted your resignation, you shall not be entitled to withdraw the same.

* All employees are required to comply to with the company's Conduct Guidlines and sign a statement to this effect. Any breech of the guidlines or the terms and conditions of empoyment may result in termination of your service without notice or compensation. 

What are my options? How can I get the company to waive off the recovery amount.

I really need help with this as I frankly cannot afford to to clear the amount without another debt.

Thank you.

Learning

2 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     10 August 2014

You are bound by the terms and conditions of employment which you have willfully signed at the time appointment.  Consult a local lawyer and proceed as per advise.

Sunil S Nair (lawyer)     11 August 2014

Oral terms are valid in law but the condition is you have to prove the same the only thing remains is you will have to sort out the matter amicably as possible

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register