Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

VIJAYNARAYAN (FREELANCE EDU CONSULTANT)     19 May 2014

Break in service & benefits

Dear members

I have given case history of my OWN Career . Would be grateful for response 

A: Service  History    

a:1 joined ONGC,1976(april). a:2 resigned from ONGC, 1982(april).

a:3 re-entered the services of ONGC,-June 1983. a:4: taken Voluntary Retirement ( VRS ) in 1998 November.  

B: Benefits given upon re-entry into ONGC.

b.1  Pay protection ,i.e, pay was fixed at same stage as last drawn =  at the time of  resignation 

b:2  seniority was restored , i.e, i was promoted to next higher posts along with my erstwhile batch mates , i.e, 1976 batch mates, as and when they were promoted

C:  settlements done upon VRS at 1998

c:1  PF & Gratuity – settled for the full period , i.e, 1976 to 1982 & 1983 to 1998  c:2  VRS (ex-gratia settlement ) paid for the period of 1983 to 1998 only

my claim & reasoning

I have been demanding ex-gratia payment for the period of service of 1976 to 1982.  The amount of claim is Rs. 215811/- [( last drawn pay x 1.5 times ) x 6 years].

I have been demanding & appealing for this VRS claim vigorously till about 2008 exhausting all levels including the CMD’s. After this I got fed up and stopped.

Reasoning for my Claim

The pay protection and seniority restoration by way of promotion means, that my service becomes  continuous. And therefore , I am entitled to  ex-gratia  amount for the period of 1976-1982.  

I can assure that there were no vigilance or any other issues on me at the time of resignation , as otherwise I could have never been re-employed by ONGC.

OPINIONS NOW SOUGHT FROM OUR ESTEEMED LEARNED MEMBERS

I am now thinking of serving a legal notice to ONGC and stake my claim for

1.The original amount of Rs.215811/- 2. A nominal interest of 12% for the period of delay i.e, 1999 to till today = Rs.414357  3. An amount equal to 1 + 2 by way of penalty = Rs630168/-(215811+414357=630138 )

The total amount of claim would now amount to 630168+630168 = 1260336/-

I would welcome our esteemed fraternity, for opinions, and any supporting similar cases were judgments  are available

Learning

14 Replies

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     20 May 2014

you can afford a lawyer. Bulky papers may be needed t be seen.

Surprisingly none of your juniors objected to your re-joining and restoration of seniority.

VIJAYNARAYAN (FREELANCE EDU CONSULTANT)     23 May 2014

Dear Mr.Sudir

a very good morning!

i was out stn for a few days hence delay in reply THANKS for your response

1. the papers available are 1. initial 1976 appointment order. 2. re-appointment order 3. promotion orders 4. VRS order  - i do hope these papers are sufficient

if i go in  for a Lawyer, - how much will be the fees

also i want to add another 12 lakhs for he mental agony of these years making a total of Rs.25 lakhs

expecting a response 

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     25 May 2014

if you have only two papers that means that all through the years you never represented.  Am I correct?

VIJAYNARAYAN (FREELANCE EDU CONSULTANT)     25 May 2014

Dear Mr.Sudhir,

thanks for the response

The following I hope clarifies

when  I re-joined in 1983 , at that time, “ the VRS scenario was not there”,  since it was future.

As I decided to opt for VRS and applied for it in 1998 ( nov ), my attached finance & admin advised me not to raise the issue of service of 1976 -1982 since my case was unique and they opined  that ONGC will not be able to sort this easily and the VRS acceptance itself would be delayed.  They advised me to start representing once VRS itself is accepted.

As a matter of fact after my re-joining in 1983 , my batch mates were promoted in 1984, and  I was not considered. But I represented and my representation was considered and I was promoted. And for subsequent promotions I was called and considered along with my batch mates ( on par in time ).

After VRS exit from ONGC in  nov 1998,  I have been representing for this claim till about 2008 after which I stopped. I have the copies of all these correspondence   

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     26 May 2014

your case is barred by limitation.

VIJAYNARAYAN (FREELANCE EDU CONSULTANT)     26 May 2014

thanks for the fast response

i would like to know more and legality of ," barred by Limitation" 

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     26 May 2014

you represented from 1998 to 2008 and did not go to court WITHIN THREE YEARS

thereaftr for the lat 8 years you made no corespondence.

Your are late in approaching court and time barred.

VIJAYNARAYAN (FREELANCE EDU CONSULTANT)     29 May 2014

I wish to clarify further

There was one communication from ONGC in 2006 informing me that my claim for VRS ex-gratia  amount for the period 1976 – 1982 can not be agreed to,  since VRS ex-gratia compensation is not applicable to , “resigned employees”.

Now my ,” argument “,  is that , by having restored my seniority and by having promoted along with my original batch mates , I cannot be treated as a  resigned employee .

Now coming to , “limitation of time “,  we are witnessing so many civil / criminal cases being re-opened even after 20 / 30 years and fresh judgments given.

And since I have been continuously representing does this , “time barred “ applicable in my case. ONGC never replied me back saying that the case is time barred. I am not a legally qualified and hence not aware of this provision . But then, can a  mere passage of time deny what is legally right?

In my opinion , time barred should apply to only to disputes. In my case it is a denial of right. In spite of my repeated telling ONGC, that I cannot be treated like a resigned  employee, nobody bothered – may be due to simple bureaucracy and nobody bothers once you are out of the system

I would be happy for a response

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     29 May 2014

you can try.

repeated reminders do not revive limitation

you have not acted beyond 2006.  It is 8 years by now.

Further every litigation is filed when some right is denied and is entertained by court if within limitation.

VIJAYNARAYAN (FREELANCE EDU CONSULTANT)     30 May 2014

Dear Mr. Sudhir

thanks for the response. your response is encouraging. 

to add strength to my case , are there any court judgments available in similar cases which will make my case very easy

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     30 May 2014

I do not know how my response appears encouraging to you.  I am just explaining hollowness of your case.

VIJAYNARAYAN (FREELANCE EDU CONSULTANT)     30 May 2014

Dear Sir

life is always built on hopes.

you have said, " you can try ".  actually i am looking for a small window, irrespective of issues like,' time barred etc', since the case is otherwise morally correct and just a passage of time shouldn't be an obstacle 

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     31 May 2014

I only said you can try. I never said you have a good case to succeed.

I reiterate

you can try.

repeated reminders do not revive limitation

you have not acted beyond 2006.  It is 8 years by now.

Further every litigation is filed when some right is denied and is entertained by court if within limitation.

VIJAYNARAYAN (FREELANCE EDU CONSULTANT)     31 May 2014

Dear Mr.Sudhir

a very good morning!.  irrespective of my case details and intricacy, ,  i really  thank yourself for sharing your points and for the contributions.

best regards

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register