LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shakeel (FM)     25 April 2015

Bounced cheque

We formed a partnership for running a shop. It did not run and we decided to close the shop. 2nd partner gave us 6 cheques for 6 months and one of them is already bounced. The shop was in Kharghar, New mumbai and 2nd partner also lives in that area in rented apartment. The bounced cheque mentions "Refer drawer" though we know that he does not intend to honour the payments. He does not respond to our emails nor picks the phone. He is completely avoiding us.

2nd cheque is going to bounce in May month amounting 50k. We are living in Main Mumbai. We would like to proceed with legal action against this person.

What shall we do now?

Shall we file civil case or criminal case or file FIR against him?

Where this suit would be filed?

Why the bank document does not mention "insufficient fund" rather it mentions "refer drawer"?

How can the noticed be sent to him in the absence of his "whereabout" in case he would have vacated his rented apartment?

Learning

9 Replies

bsrao   25 April 2015

A cheque return is a 'cheque return' whatever may be the reason. Your local court will have jurisdiction. Please approach an advocate immediately for proper guidance and filing of a case.

B S Rao

Hardeep (Business)     25 April 2015

It seems the Bank is in collusion with the drawer as they should clearly give the reason.Give a complaint to the Bank management in writing and when you proceed to a case make them a party as well.

ADV-JEEVAN PATIL, MUMBAI ( DEEMED/CONVEYANCE OF BUILDING)     25 April 2015

1)Email/ contact issuing person for setii g daily right. 2) Represent cheque again 3) if returned 4) serve legal notice 5), file complaints u/s 138 of NI Act 6),also make criminal complaint

Shakeel (FM)     25 April 2015

Jeevanji,

Can i present cheque again for encashment after cheque bounced? 

Hardeepji,

I also felt the same and we went to our bank to enquire about reason that why insufficient fund reason is not marked which he responded that even when you file case, refer to drawer will also be treated as default in payment.

Hardeep (Business)     27 April 2015

While this may well be true ( most probably it is ) ,  suggest make a complaint to the Bank Manager stating just what they have told you and get their acknowledgement on the same. May come in handy later.

Shakeel (FM)     27 April 2015

Thx Hardeepji.

I am looking for an advocate in Main Mumbai to handle this case.

Hardeep (Business)     28 April 2015

Sorry don't know anyone in Mumbai.

whosoever you hire, get clear agreement regarding his payment. Besides make sure you get a copy of each paper he - or the opposite party files in Court as soon as they are filed as well as the Court orders. Attend as many hearings personally as possible.

Shakeel (FM)     28 April 2015

I got some valuable information from this post and gathered some more from google and gist is as given below:

Jurisdiction: Payee bank  (Dashrath Roopsingh Rathod Vs. Stae of Maharashtra & Anr.)

Time limit to communicate to drawer: 30 days

Time limit to drawee to clear dues: 15 days

"Refer to Drawer" also tantamount bounce cheque as per "Lily Hire purchase vs Darshan Lal" case.

The bounced cheque can be presented any number of times by payee (AIR 1998 SC 3043)

Criminal offence with maximum imprisonment of 2 years and compensation of double the amount.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     28 April 2015

In India from even British times, in banking practice "refer to drawer" means insufficiency of funds in the account. There is no wrong doing on the part of the bank. In fact the intimation to you from the bank would list several statements and the bank would have tick marked "Refer to Drawyer". That is sufficient to attract NI:138. Further NI:138 mandates that before going to court you should send either a lawyer's or your own notice to the drawer of the cheque. If he is sincere he will at least reply and his reply would clear the exact position. A few days back I saw in the papers that NIA is being amended in favour of the payee and the court jurisdiction is being made where the payee stays or has his office. I would like to warn you that criminals are becoming more and more resourceful and are making even straightforward NI:138 cases drag on for years and years. Never leave the case blindly to your lawyer. You are in the knowledge of facts and the lawyer's knowledge of your case is only second hand. Also carefully watch each and every pronouncement of the judge. If you find that he is dragging your case do not hesitate to approach the higher court. I wish you good luck.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register