Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sasi kanth (Software Engineer)     23 May 2015

Bachelorhood certificate from court

Dear Friends

Need your help on below topic

Bachelorhood Certificate: The laws of some countries require that, before a foreigner may marry within their jurisdiction, he/she must produce a certificate issued by the relevant authority of the country of which he/she is a national, stating that the authority does not know of any impediment to the marriage. Such a certificate is known as a “Certificate of No Impediment” or “Nulla Osta Certificate” or “Affidavit of Eligibility to marry” or “Marital Status Certificate”. This certificate also states that the applicant marital status is “Single”.

So, If an Indian citizen want to marry a foreigner ( eg. say a citzen of a European nation), he/she has to submit Bachelorhood certificate to the european nation's government in order to get married in Europe.

I filed an RTI against Ministry of External Affairs and got a reply that 

1. Nomenclature of Certificate Issued in India is generally called “No Objection Certificate” or “Bachelorhood Certificate”
  2. Since the power to declare any legal rights is vested in the competent courts in India, the applicant may please be advised to contact concerned court authorities at the place of normally resident
  3. Indian Missions/posts abroad cannot issue Bachelorhood Certificate in respect of any Indian National.

Its just mentioned that the indian citizen should contact the court but no further details have been given like which court, what is the procedure etc., 

I'm looking for the information on how to obtain this certificate.

Looking forward for your feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Learning

4 Replies

Ompal Aggarwal (Advocate)     23 May 2015

To my knowlege,but not sure, contact SDMoffice of ur area for getting bachlore certificate

Ompal Aggarwal (Advocate)     23 May 2015

To my knowlege,but not sure, contact SDMoffice of ur area for getting bachlore certificate

sasi kanth (Software Engineer)     27 May 2015

Originally posted by : Ompal Aggarwal

Hello Mr.Ompal

Are you referring to Sub Divisional Magistrate in the city i live in?

Shantilal Pandya ( Advocate)     10 June 2015

The decree for status can be obtained by filing  a civil  suit for such a  declaration in the competent civil court  such a suit is not excluded by law , and the civil court of general jurisdiction  can try such an issue ,to my mind such a suit can be filed citing as the defendents  the state and all concerned relatives and all persons who are likely to oppose such a declaration such a suit can be filed after obtaing leave from the court the court may order to issue a public sommons inviting all those who may  wish to oppose the  the relief asked for in the suit .

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register