LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Akash (XYZ)     15 August 2017

Associate member in cooperative society

My mother owns a flat in a co-operative society in Peddar Road Mumbai. Her name is on the property documents and she is the legal owner.  My mother wants to make me an associate member, by applying to the society for the same.

1) Can I become an associate member of the society even though my name is not on property purchase documents?

2) As an associate member, can I stand for elections for the managing committee and can i hold the role of treasurer, chairman or secretary?

Thank you in advance for your valued advice.

Learning

3 Replies

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     15 August 2017

Sir, You should apply to the society as per Appendix 5, of the MCS Act, with an application fee of ₹100/-, the owner should submit the declaration as per Appendix 10A, of the MCS Act, and submit the share certificate for the inclusion of your name, then you can participate in voting as also hold a post in the managing committee. Good luck, Kishor Mehta
1 Like

Kumar Doab (FIN)     15 August 2017

You can benefit from the advise of Mr. Kishore Mehta.

Akash (XYZ)     17 August 2017

Thank you for your response .But in light of the Housing Manual published by the registrar  addressing the rights of the Associate Members which I quote below
“Since more than one person made payment of the cost price in the purchase deed of flat in co-operative ousing society, they get ownership rights.A person, who became an Associate member by paying only admission fee, shall not get any right to vote or stand for election on behalf of the original member. It is necessary for the Associate member that his share/name is included in the ownership of property for holding share jointly…”

AM I STILL ELIGIBLE TO BECOME AN ASSOCIATE MEMBER BY PAYING RS.100/- AND FILLING UP THE FORMS OR DOES MY MOTHER NEED TO INCLUDE MY NAME ON THE TITLE DEED OF THE PROPERTY DOCUMENTS?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register