LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jithendra.H.J (Lawyer)     26 July 2009

Are we true lawyers?

we are going to live only one life!we should do some thing big and worthwhile to our people/nation as lawyers. Gandhiji has said" let the profession never stand in the way of your public service" i hereby call upon the members of this fourm to do something in the following problem. The Election Commission already announced to hold the bye-elections to fill the 14 casual vacancies in the State Assemblies of West Bengal, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, , Uttar Pradesh and Meghalaya on August 18 of 2009. why this bye-election? because the Our politicians gave up with elected seat with absolutely no respect to the voters who voted them and We have seen few sitting MLAs contested for a MP seat (or vice versa). after winning they surrendered the MLA seat. Existing MP/MLA should not be allowed to contest for another election,before the expiry of their current term, which causes waste of our (public) money and government machinery to conduct the elections to their vacated seats. people say that to solve this problem 1) EC should not allow candidates standing from multiple constituencies 2)Existing MP/MLA should not be allowed to contest for another election 3)the person who surrendered the seat should bear all the expenses can any body move the Hon'ble Apex court regarding this?

Learning

8 Replies

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     26 July 2009

i respect ur sentiments.

but Sir, who ll bell the cat.

they r in controll of everythin.

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     27 July 2009

I fully agree with you jitendra ji!

when general elections were going on, I had also raised this issue in following terms:

M P/M L A to continue full term

M Ps and MLAs are elected for five years. when in mid term an MP contests for State legislature or an MLA contests for Parliament, he breaches the public trust and his promises. Further, it costs heavily  on public exchequer as well as disturbing regular works of public servants who are engaged in re-election duties.

is it not proper to ban this practice and make it binding upon the leaders to represent the seat for which they have been elected, till dissolution of house?

Contesting from two constituecies

When a candidate is elected from two constituencies, he has to resign from one. re-election costs heavily on public exchequers as well as disturbing regular works of public servants who are engaged in re-election duties.

is it not proper to amend the law and permit a candidate to contest from only one constituency?

Sarvesh Kumar Sharma Advocate (Advocacy)     27 July 2009

the query and the TOPIC has no match,sir.

that is right i respect yr sentiments ,

but we are(A TRUE LAWYER) not law makers.

SIR IT IS YR SIDE TO SUGGEST US WHAT WE CAN  DO?

give us guidline....................

aruntrivedi (lawyer)     27 July 2009

king can do no wrong - we experienced from our constituency when Bajpayee resigned from this seat and bye-election was held.

Y V Vishweshwar Rao (Advocate )     27 July 2009

I agree the larned friends and it is known fact that the Cost of Elections   and resignations in the mids  and opting for another post , these all effectign the public funds and also effecting  public servants duty days  , the public are payign the cost of all these things . It is time to  some  measures  in this regard  by framing certian guidlines in thsese situations .

Shree. ( Advocate.)     27 July 2009

Dear Sir,

For your kind attention this issue has been already raised by our Senior Member Dr.VNT Sir,in the May 2009 and for your reference i am reproducing for your view,But Kindly go through my views and would it be possible atleast after this Era?

To avoid the colossal waste of public money in conducting byelections in such situations, the seat vacated by the candidate should be allotted to the runner-up. This will make leaders think twice before contesting from two constituencies, or contesting on a MP ticket while being a member of the State Assembly.This practice must be stopped and the Election Commission of India must come with an Ordinance or rule that no candidate can contest not more than one seat. For conducting bye election for resigned seat why the Government should bear the election expenses and why don't govt ask the resigned candidate to bear the election expenses.....?

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/messages/2009/5/5764_contesting_from_two_constituecies.asp

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     27 July 2009

I agree with the solution sugested by mr shree that : "in such situations, the seat vacated by the candidate should be allotted to the runner-up". this may be one of the most suitable solutions.

Jithendra.H.J (Lawyer)     27 July 2009

Can any body move the Hon'ble Apex court regarding this?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register