Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Avinash   18 August 2019

Are criminal records a bar to government jobs?

Sir, in my college days I was depressed because my social skills were poor and being awkward and alone I started using drugs which gave me a lot of friends. But later I was caught by police and they charged a case against me for selling drugs which I didn't do but some of my friends did. My name came along with them. Our lawyers told us that the best step is to admit our crimes even though I only consumed and never sold any drugs(ganja). The court let me go by charging a fine. I'm good at studies and I dream of getting a government job but I'm afraid of keeping this dream alive as I don't know if I can get a government job. please tell me whether I can get a government job or not. And should I reveal my criminal record before appearing for the exams?

Learning

14 Replies

Hemant Agarwal (ha21@rediffmail.com Mumbai : 9820174108)     19 August 2019

1.  While Applying for a Govt. Job, you would have fill in the declaration on your legal prosecution status, failure of which while Police Verification, the police would file a report of your past prosecution.

2.  Based on the Police Verification report, you would stand to get disqualified from Govt. Jobs.

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     19 August 2019

That is correct you need a police verification report and that will decide for you.

Shashi Dhara   19 August 2019

As ur were student court only fined because of Ur future. So don't worry much about it .u mention it only if there they ask any criminal record u disclose that only fined.

Avinash   19 August 2019

THANK YOU all for the reply, I was preparing for my exams. My lawyer and police said the same thing. Now one more question while registering for exam they are asking whether I'm involved in any crimes. Should I be honest and tick YES or should I tick no inorder to stand a chance?
Once again  thank you all for your replies.
Avinash.

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     19 August 2019

No ,you should be honest and give correct reply;otherwise also they will verify from the Police. Don't make any false statement. 

Avinash   19 August 2019

So before registering for my exam, I should tick that I have a criminal history? because today I'm going to register for another exam.

1.  You can declare that you have not been convicted earlier for any offence,  PROVIDED you are ready for future prosecution and departmental inquiry & dismissal from Service.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal
VISIT: www.chshelpforum.com

1.  You can declare that you have not been convicted earlier for any offence,  PROVIDED you are ready for future prosecution and departmental inquiry & dismissal from Service.

Avinash   19 August 2019

Sorry, sir. But thank you for warning me.

Shashi Dhara   19 August 2019

U mention only fined

Avinash   19 August 2019

@ Sashi Dhara    Yes, sir, I was fined after I pleaded guilty. Forgive my ignorance but why did you ask that.

P. Venu (Advocate)     20 August 2019

Any suggestion as to a person who was convicted in a crminal case depends upon the inherent  facts and circumstances.

First and foremost, you should disclose the material facts as and when sought. Genrally, such information is required not at the stage of applying for the job, but once selected. Any how, no information, when sought, should be supressed.

Generally, conviction trivial offences are  ignored. The facts stated suggest that you were convicted in a trivial offence, that too, because you had opted to plead guilty. As such, in my undrstanding, you cannot be denied employment if otherwise found suitable..

1 Like

Avinash   22 August 2019

Thank you all for taking the trouble to help me. I do appreciate it. Sorry, I was busy with my internship that's why I was unable to acknowledge your valuable replies. Happy to hear that law still offers a chance for those who committed a one time mistake. 
KUDOS...

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register