LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Tanuja (Consultant)     07 August 2013

Agricultural land

My grandmother inherited a piece of agricultural land (in 1965 in Andhra Pradesh near Tirupathi) from her mother (died in 2011) (my great grandmother), in 2012 my grandmother had transferred the property to my mother by registering the property, however my grandmother's sister claims she has equal rights on this property. As the documents in the Mandal office shows my grandmothers name (Pass book, 10 One, ROR,cultivation name), she has also taken couple of agricultural loans and has repaid it, however the Patta is with my great grandmothers name...so can someone suggest me how this will work, can my grandmothers sister claim rights on this legally....also grandmother has one more younger brother...that means my grandmother has 2 siblings....a sister and a brother...please suggest..

Learning

2 Replies

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     07 August 2013

Before giving any opinion one has to go through the documents in detail.  But, according to your details given above, I am giving the opinion. By your name I can understand that you are Hindu by religion.  As you said that your grandmother had inherited the property through your great grand mother.  Since the patta pass books and revenue records reflect the name of your grand mother, it will become her own self acquired property, since your grand mother is female.  I assume that your great grand mother has registered the property in the name of your grand mother.  If you enquire in the MRO office or collector office, you will be knowing that how the property came to the name of your grand mother.  In the above circumtances, your grand mother's sister and brother cannot claim the property as it is not ancestral in the hands of your grand mother.  Though it is ancestral property, but it has fallen in the hands of your grand mother, it will cease the nature of ancestral, in the case of female.  In the case of male the position will be reverse. 

Tanuja (Consultant)     08 August 2013

Thanks for your reply, I will emphasise on the below points 1. It's an ancestral property my great grandmother got this property from her mother. 2. I understand from my grandparents that this land was passed on to my grandmother as (paspu kumkum) by word of mouth initially...later on inherited by a law passed in AP in 60's wherein the person who was doing cultivation was given the right to the property (if applicable) and at that time my great grandmother has signed in a letter and with that as a proof all the documents were been changed automatically to my grandmother name by the MRO, they came to our home to do this it seems.. 3. However the name on the register in the mandalam office is with my great grandmother name and all the other documents are with my grandmother name.. Please suggest

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register