Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

vas1084 (accountant)     08 February 2015

304b - chargesheet not filed even after 5 months.

Dear Experts,

My wife committed suicide (for reasons I do not know) while I was away at work. It was only 4 months after our wedding. We are the only two people who were staying together and there were no major problems / issues between us except minor friction.

My in-laws filed an FIR in August 2014 terming it as dowry death and gave all kinds of false stories. Initially I and my sister (who stays in another city and hardly spoke to wife in 4 months. She visited our house once for 2 days, 6 weeks before my wife's death) were the two accused people. I was in police custody right from that very night and 4 days later I was sent to judicial custody. I was in JC for 70 days. 20 days after I was sent to jail, my mother was also made a co-accused.

My lawyer told my family that in these types of cases, the court presumes that we are guilty and therefore it id extremely difficult to get bail (AB for my mother and sister). Till date, he has made us spend 12 lakhs + just to get bail and that too after 100 days for my mother and sister.

The chargesheet is not yet filed. Apparently, the police wants some more bribe and I am in no position to pay anything more. I am in a lot of debt and arranging money is difficult. 
My lawyer says that delay is better for me because gradually the evidence will get weakened. My point is that everything in that complaint and FIR and Case diary is false (not 1% truth). So what evidence are we talking of. All the witnesses who are there are my wife's relatives and friends and all are claiming the same fabricated story (that wife would cry on phone everyday that me and my family were harassing her). My wife would email her friends and chat with them but they did not produce any emails, phone sms, Google or FB or whatsapp chats (because they have none). I have read somewhere that the meaning of 'presumed' in 304B is that the court presumes that whoever is in a position to show evidence but are not showing it, that party is trying to hide something. In my case, my in-laws have the phone, they have access to her gmail/FB but are not producing anything. So, technically, it should be presumed that they are lying. Instead, my lawyer says that the in 304B, the court presumes that I am guilty.

My question is should I push for the chargesheet to be filed or not? This case is a big mental, social and financial harassment to me and my family and it is keeping on dragging. Is it worth it to push for chargesheet (if yes, how) or do I simply bide my time and wait for the police to take their time. It is already over 150 days. Please advise. Also, what interpretation of 'presumed' is correct?

Learning

10 Replies

Kappil Cchandna (Expert Bail & Criminal Defence Lawyer at Delhi Supreme Court of India)     09 February 2015

Dear, I think you should wait for the chargesheet to be filed..... Presumed is a strong presumption when other requirements are met, but in your case other requirements like live link is missing ..... Kapil Chandna Adv 9899011450

Karthikeyan (Manager)     09 February 2015

Hi, For charge sheet..still have more time. Don't worry about ur case. Really if ur an innocent, definitely you won't be punished. Its very difficult for me to write like u. So, share your contact no by Private Message really if u need a suggestion and guidance.

Sidharth Arora (EXPERT/ADVOCATE )     13 February 2015

S.304 B is read with S.113 B of Indian evidence act which presumes guilt of the accused if there is a demand of dowry alleged 'soon' before death/ unnatural death /and within 7 years of marriage.

Any body telling you ---'f ur an innocent, definitely you won't be punished.'      

like the gentleman above is living in a fool's paradise.The presumption in such cases is very strong....and the onus to prove Innocence is yours.Get your act together...break the continuing line of the prosecution story once you get the chargesheet and copies of S.161 statements.

Sidharth Arora

Adv. Delhi High Court

Is it worth it to push for chargesheet (if yes, how) or do I simply bide my time and wait for the police to take their time. It is already over 150 days. .....

Wait.... let the statements and prosecution story come.Your lawyer should be very very sharp during trial.

1 Like

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     28 March 2015

in 304b the police has only to prove that :-

1. there was a marriage
  2. then there was death of bride
  3. the death was within 7 years of marriage
  4. death is unnatural

If these fats are there (which appear YES from your query) then it is presumed to be dowry death and all her friends and relative do not need any evidence to give.

It is for you to prove that the alleged crime was not done by you or else you ar in for 7 years.

vas1084 (accountant)     29 March 2015

Does that mean that anybody can say anything and we spend all of our time trying to prove them false?

Wherever you go for evidence nobody gives any information either because they are afraid of being sucked into a police case or they cite that data privacy as a clause and ask for a police or magistrate order. How can private individuals fight against the might of the state if their hands are tied.

And if the job of the police is to check only the 4 items above then why are they taking ages to file the chargesheet (it is more than 7 months now but there is still no chargesheet yet). These are facts which even I do not deny and the police knows this within the first 5 minutes of reaching the crime scene. If these are the only facts which the police has to check, there was no need for them to lock me up in jail for 70 days. They could have filed the chargesheet the very next day.

When speaking to me privately even the police admits that it is a fabricated case - then why is it that the police is so helpless? What kind of law is this that believes in harassing people even though everybody acknowledge that it is a false one. I can take it if it is only me. But they have implicated my sick mother and my little sister and she is being constantly harassed by her in-laws now.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     29 March 2015

you are not the first or last 304b accused.

getting emotional is natural but this may not help.  You have to plan your defence in consultation with lawyers.

CompelledToLearnLaw (Financial Examiner)     30 March 2015

A very unfair law. A part of a long list of unfair and badly crafted laws. But I disagree with the view that the police does not require evidence or suspicion before arresting or laying charges.

IPC 304B: Where the death of a woman is caused by any burns or bodily injury or occurs otherwise than under normal circumstances within seven years of her marriage and it is shown that soon before her death she was subjected to cruelty or har­assment by her husband or any relative of her husband for, or in connection with, any demand for dowry, and such husband or relative shall be deemed to have caused her death. ......

Further, section 113B of Indian Evidence Act only confirms the above explanation. In fact, section 113B of Evidence Act repeats and submit to what is laid down in 304B.

113B: Presumption as to dowry death.- when the question is whether a person has committed the dowry death of a woman and it is shown that soon before her death such woman has been subjected by such person to cruelty or harassment for, or in connection with, any demand for dowry, the Court shall presume that such person had caused the dowry death.

Explanation.-For the purposes of this section "dowry death" shall have the same meaning as in section 304B, of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860)

Further Crpc 174 only makes it mandatory to investigate a suicide/death of a woman within seven years of her marriage and to report the investigation to the Magistrate, but, it doesn’t give anyone a right to arrest or lay charges without evidence or without a reasonable suspicion.

Unless anything else can be added from the current standing laws or from a significant Court judgment, I do not agree that the police or the Magistrate can authorize arrest or charges without prima facie evidence in the case of a death of a woman within seven years of her marriage. I’m ignorant of law so I do not mind being corrected.

India is a democracy not to be proud of but I do not think the police is free to arrest people without any evidence or a reasonable suspicion of wrong doing. For the sake of an innocent citizen’s right to freedom, I hope the Magistrates would stop sending people to judicial custody without a valid reason.

The complainant can himself/herself claim to be a witness of dowry harassment and of course that is oral evidence and may meet the prima facie criteria. But if the Investigating Officer, after/during investigation, has evidence that the complainant is lying, then, such oral evidence should be held unreliable/incredible and it should not result in an arrest or a charge under 304B.

CompelledToLearnLaw (Financial Examiner)     30 March 2015

Along with unqualified, under-educated, and under-trained police officers, another serious defect in the justice system is that I see Magistrates in my district who look like they have yet to celebrate their 30th birthday. A person should have at least 20 years of experience as a trial-lawyer before he/she is considered for the post of a Judge/Magistrate. The candidate should also have a certain number of successful cases under his/her belt. Why are the book-worms being made Magistrates without having the street experience? A lawyer with 20 years of experience behind him will easily spot lies of the complainant, witnesses, police officers, or the accused. An experienced/successful lawyer will smell a fabricated case from 20 miles away. 

The list of defects is very long in our justice system but another major one is that the lawmakers, it seems, did not have the time to properly write laws: a lot of laws r written very vaguely. Example: 498a: (a) any wilful conduct which is of such a nature as is likely to drive the woman to commit suicide. Ur inlaws can say, "O officer, my son-in-law and his family shamelessly asked my daughter for a divorce which drove her to suicide so pls put 498a on him and his family." Shouldn’t the lawmakers have a responsibility to not make vague laws? Is it too much to ask? Or is this a sign of the quality of Indian intellect? And in section 113A of the Indian Evidence Act, the lawmakers have the temerity to refer to 498a when they say, "Explanation.-For the purposes of this section, "cruelty" shall have the same meaning as in section 498A of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860)." Where do they get the guts to refer from once vague law to another vague law?   

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     30 March 2015

Along with unqualified, under-educated, and under-trained police officers, another serious defect in the justice system is that I see Magistrates in my district who look like they have yet to celebrate their 30th birthday.

So are many doctors, teachers,  engineers, CA, Armed Forces Officer even drivers......... etc

A person should have at least 20 years of experience as a trial-lawyer before he/she is considered for the post of a Judge/Magistrate.

Let us see if you can find out a twenty years experienced advocate excepting such salary.

The candidate should also have a certain number of successful cases under his/her belt. Why are the book-worms being made Magistrates without having the street experience?

Better you challnage the Recruitment Rules for judiciary.  Get a judge appointed s per revised procedure and till then seek stay on the proceedings

A lawyer with 20 years of experience behind him will easily spot lies of the complainant, witnesses, police officers, or the accused. An experienced/successful lawyer will smell a fabricated case from 20 miles away. 

There will be many lawyers who have 20 years of experience and not attended even a single criminal case

The list of defects is very long in our justice system but another major one is that the lawmakers, it seems, did not have the time to properly write laws:

You  are talking of 20 years of experience before joining judiciary and you are not aware of the length of experience (including as advocate) for those who draft the laws before being presented to legislature.

a lot of laws r written very vaguely. Example: 498a: (a) any wilful conduct which is of such a nature as is likely to drive the woman to commit suicide. Ur inlaws can say, "O officer, my son-in-law and his family shamelessly asked my daughter for a divorce which drove her to suicide so pls put 498a on him and his family." Shouldn’t the lawmakers have a responsibility to not make vague laws? Is it too much to ask? Or is this a sign of the quality of Indian intellect? And in section 113A of the Indian Evidence Act, the lawmakers have the temerity to refer to 498a when they say, "Explanation.-For the purposes of this section, "cruelty" shall have the same meaning as in section 498A of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860)." Where do they get the guts to refer from once vague law to another vague law?   

No Law is drafted vague.  You are welcome to quote even a single law (or single amendment) which is :-

(i)                Not open to interpretation

(ii)             Not misused.

(iii)           Not created due to necessity.

(Guest)

Hello, don't waste your time here. Contact SIFF team in Delhi. They work for harassed husbands like you. They can provide you far better guidance than any lawyers. And dont pay a penny to anyone...especially your inlaws. remember, you cannot always be defensive in a legal fight....u have to be offensive. if they threaten you, record it and file cases against them...Its a game of chess and you have to checkmate your opponents...i needn't say more. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register