Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

yayutsu   30 July 2016

24x7 operation with no night shift allowances or other facil

Hi

I am working for a major private airline in India in city X handling Airline Base operations which includes the following

1. Manage all cabin crew
  2. Manage recruitment and hiring process and maintain grooming standard in staff
  3. Manage customer service standards
  4. Maintain reports and standards as dictated by DGCA (aviation authority).

This is a operations management job and not a BPO/call center job and we need to be on our toes.

In our base in city X we are a staff of 5 handling and managing crew of 600 and maintaining 24x7 operations

In other bases of same airline there are staff of 10 or more handing 250 crew (less than 45%)

In our base we have following shifts for my team of 5

1. Night - 10 PM to 7 AM
  2. Morning - 4 AM to 1:30 PM
  3. Afternoon - 11 AM to 8:30 PM and 1 PM to 10:30 PM

Due to staff shortage we generally work beyond the hours mentioned above.

We are maintaining 24x7 operations with skeleton staff of 5 and the company is not providing any

Night shift allowances.

Due to the skeleton strength usually there are only one or two staff handling the entire operation in a shift. Furthermore there is no rest area and we are required to be at our desk or work area throughout the night. There is no provision for food or snacks in night hours from the company.

Furthermore there is No extra time off after night shift and we need to report the next day just as in regular shift, usually in less than 20 hours from closing the preious shift.

The company is not keen to add additional headcount in our team in city X even though the workload is twice or more as compared to other bases.

I wanted to check if any laws are violated as the company is not providing any night shift allowances or facilities and if running airline operation with skeleton staff violates any safety or labor laws.

Please direct how I can take it up with the company.

Learning

3 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     30 July 2016

1. Download evidence of everything that you have narrated.

More so the demand of your reporting authorities, to work beyond sheduled hours.

Once you have the irrefutable evidence, you can relate with OT, compensatory off and rake up the issue anytime.

2. There is a capping on OT in enactments.

3. You need to ascertain first which enactments would apply in your case and are you eligible for OT.

What is your designation?

Do you have power to sanction leave/increment/appoint/terminate etc?

Your div/dept/offcie is registered under which enactment e.g; Shops & Estbs Act?

Are you coverd by the def. of 'Employee' as in the Act or as 'Workman' as in ID Act?

4.  Remain gentle and amiable.

Submit gentle submission and succeed to get written reply on record. 

Once you have irrefutable record, you can rake up later. 

5. Are you a member of Employee's/Trade Unions?

yayutsu   30 July 2016

Hi Kumar

Thanks for the response. 

Have plenty of evidence ..shift roaster etc.I am working as execuitive and with limited staff there is no such thing as union especially in Private companies. I will take your feedback and check with concerned department (HR?).

Also can you possibly  enlighten me on following 

1. Are there are laws/rules with minimum staff needed for 24x7x365 operations especially in sensitive jobs like airline. I had not mentioned before but we dont even get regular weekend off as we are in operations with only 5 working staff.

2. Are shifts of 9.5 hour (usually 10 or more hours) with single person legal?

3. Are there any legal provision for night shift allowances and/or rest facilities that a company must provide.

Thanks in advance

Kumar Doab (FIN)     30 July 2016

An executive might be a glorified designation and may still be covered by the def. of 'Employee' , 'Workman'.

A very able counsel specializing in Labor/service matters can opine in your case.

It is your own judgment, that you should ask HR or not? The HR and thru HR others in Line Management/ HR functions may precieve it as they are attuned to!

There are unions in private sector as well.

You can check with regulator e.g; DGCA.

Regular weekend is must Or compensatory off/OT is to be granted.

Work hours are prescribed to 8/day=48/week.

Breaks are prescribed in applicable enactments.

Look into your establishment's service rules as well. 

Submit gentle submission (under proepr acknowledgment) and attempt to succeed to get written reply on record. 

It is your own employment. Avoid emotional outbursts and any adverse effect on you.

Tread carefully.

Remain gentle and amiable.

A very able counsel specializing in Labor/service matters can opine in your case.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register