Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Pushkar (NA)     21 September 2014

2% surcharge on payment through debit cards

Respected Sir/Madam,

Recently I came across  to a situation in private nursing home in Delhi where they were charging 2% surcharge if anyone is paying the bills through Debit/Credit card. Is it legal? if not, what can be done against it. I think, electronic payments should be encouraged to mitigate all the flaws which cash transaction has. Please suggest. Thanks.

Learning

5 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     21 September 2014

NO.

>>> 

Pernicious practices of select banks deterring customer protection and accounting integrity:

There are instances where merchant establishments levy fee as a percentage of the transaction value as charges on customers who are making payments for purchase of goods and services through debit cards. Such fee are not justifiable and are not permissible as per the bilateral agreement between the acquiring bank and the merchants and therefore calls for termination of the relationship of the bank with such establishments.

https://www.rbi.org.in/scriptts/NotificationUser.aspx?Id=8461&Mode=0

>>> 

Review of Payment and Settlement Systems in India 2006 – 2007

4.18 Credit cards and Debit cards: In case of Credit Cards and Debit Cards there is no visible

charge on the customer for use of cards at merchant establishments.

https://www.rbi.org.in/scriptts/PublicationReportDetails.aspx?FromDate=11/2/2007&SECID=22&SUBSECID=0#4

Attached File : 773239309 81035.pdf, 773239309 cs172509113fs.pdf downloaded: 113 times

Pushkar (NA)     21 September 2014

Thanks Sir for your reply, links to RBI site is not opening. Also, please guide me what action can I take against it?

Kumar Doab (FIN)     21 September 2014

The PDF files are also attached and can be downloaded.

Approach a lawyer specializing in consumer cases and under expert guidance of your lawyer issue notice to company that has issued Credit/debit card, hospital and ask for reversal and if they do not yield pull them to DCDRF……………………….

If you wish you can try by escalating to RBI,BO……………………….however DCDRF would be better option.

Pushkar (NA)     27 September 2014

Thanks, Here I wanted to know the authorities to whom I can inform about this. Since I didn't pay by cards, I can't go to DCDRF.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     28 September 2014

If you have evidence you can approach media, civil courts,

RBI:

Smt. Uma Subramaniam
Chief General Manager -in-Charge
Department of Non-Banking Supervision
Central Office
Centre I, World Trade Centre, Cuffe Parade
Mumbai-400 005.

Phone: 022-22153350

Email id: cgmicdnbsco@rbi.org.in

THE DETAILED DUTIES OF DNBS CAN BE SEEN AT: