Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mrs.n (CS, LL.B)     17 July 2013

138 n.i.act

Hi,

we have sent notice to one party  for demanding the money.however we recd the money after notice period.but our md wants to have interest also on late payments. (*notice was with out interest amount , we had via mail asked the interest amt)

MD is asking of  for filing the case for interest amount.However notice period of 15 days is expired but still we are very much in the 30 days in which we can file the case.( as after notice period within 30 days we have to file the case)our 30 days expires on 26th july , 2013.

the question is for interest amount .

is the interest claim is under 138 of N.I.ACT or any other , pls suggest with procedures.

regds

Learning

2 Replies

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     18 July 2013

Sec 138 of N.I.act attracts when a cheque returned unpaid by bank.In your case no any cheque return unpaid so sec 138 of N.I.Act does not attract  apart from this sec is in regards to penalties for bouncing of cheques.Your MD wants to recover interest on due amount for that file civil suit for recovery of money.

Sec 138 of N.I.Act :-

Where any cheque drawn by a person on an account maintained by him with a banker for payment of any amount of money to another person from out of that account for the discharge, in whole or in part, of any debt or other liability, is returned by the bank unpaid, either because of the amount of money standing to the credit of that account is insufficient to honour the cheque or that it exceeds the amount arranged to be paid from that account by an agreement made with that bank, such person shall be deemed to have committed an offence and shall without prejudice to any other provisions of this Act, be punished with imprisonment for 2["a term which may extend to two year"], or with fine which may extend to twice the amount of the cheque, or with both:

Mrs.n (CS, LL.B)     24 July 2013

Dear Sir, Thanks for your reply.since the cheque was bounced and we sent notice under sec.138. pls suggest abt the interest query.is interest is in N.I Act or any other . pl suggest

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register