LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rajeev Maini (MD)     24 September 2014

"super" a mystery

As on  internet(at indiankanoon),  case of Super Refrigeration Pvt. Ltd Vs Super Sales Corporation (FAO (OS) 29 of 97, "SUPER" cannot be registered which is a big brand name in refrigeration industry. But, it is incomplete case as case was dismissed as withdrawn. 24/05/1999. It is brought to notice it was applied or registered around 1970.Kindly, help me how I can obtain its documents if true and status as on 24/09/2014.

ANYPERSON ASSOCIATED , KINDLY ENLIGHTEN ME regarding "SUPER". ( anything related with it)

Mrs.Rajeev Maini

rajeevmainisuper@gmail.com

Learning

1 Replies

Hardeep (Business)     03 October 2014

AFAIK, a generic word such as " Super " cannot be trade marked. During the original case , it was not registered ( although being shown so by the Plaintiff, initially and the Defendant had also filed an application for same which was not decided till the time of the case decision  )

See original case at :

https://indiankanoon.org/doc/1248270/

Super Refrigeration Pvt. Ltd. vs Super Sales Corporation on 6 November, 1996

Here the  Case was NOT dismissed as withdrawn, instead the application of the Plaintiff claiming their right to sole use of the word " Super" was dismissed. Even an action for " passing off"  - where someone uses a Mark to use/damage the reputation of an existing Mark was not held since the Defendant was prominently putting " Maini" as well , along with the word " Super" . This is how I  understand the case.

Maybe that is why the later case you refer to was withdrawn.

DISCLAIMER : General information and advice provided is without any warranties as to suitability for any use, correctness and application to any specific case. Please always take proper legal counsel . However, if it helped anyone even a little a " thanks" via the "Thanks Contributor Button " would be appreciated and would encourage me to keep on making efforts :-) . I am also always open to corrections and further learnings from more experienced Seniors here.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register