Home > Experts > Property Law > Married Daughter Rights in Fathers Property

Married Daughter Rights in Fathers Property (Property Law)

Author : Bhavesh

Posted On 01 July 2009 at 22:41

We are 3 Child of my father, One Son & Two Daughter, Two Daughters are married in year 2004 & 2005 respectively & i am married in 2000, I want to know about the rights of my married sisters in my fathers
movable & immovable property, as my father is alive & he want to give 3 equal shares
to all of us in movable property that is cash, fd & jewellery etc., is there any rights of my sisters?

Expert : A V Vishal

Posted On 01 July 2009 at 22:50

Dear Bhavesh,

If the properties are self acquired then your father has complete rights in distributing his property according to his will and wish. Further, in law there is no distinction between a son and daughter in property matters. Each of them share equally or as per the will of the testator.

Expert : G.Aravinthan

Posted On 02 July 2009 at 06:37

According to Hindu succession Act, it is clear that all children - whether male or female have equal right over father's property.

Expert : G.Aravinthan

Posted On 02 July 2009 at 06:40

Your father have right to distribute his self acquired property. But in case of ancestral property, your father and you three have equal right.

Expert : Kiran Kumar

Posted On 02 July 2009 at 08:10

after the amendment of Hindu Succession Act in 2005, the distinction of ancestral property and self acquired property has gone.

now the daughters does have equal share in the ancestral property as well.

pls c the amended section 6 of the act.

Expert : Apurva Kumar

Posted On 02 July 2009 at 08:16

Dear after andmnt your right accrued u/s-6 of The Hindu Maintainance Act see it and consult ny proper lawyer for further details do reply!

Expert : T.V. Jayashree

Posted On 02 July 2009 at 10:28

There is absolutely no difference in male and female as far as property is concerned, due to the amendment.

Expert : adv. rajeev ( rajoo )

Posted On 02 July 2009 at 12:40

your sister has got equal share in the ancestral property not in the self earned property of your father.
After the amendment to sec 8 of Hindu succession act there is no difference between male and female, all are coparceners