Home > Experts > Corporate Law > Legal compliance requirement for opening shop or restuarant in mumbai

Legal compliance requirement for opening shop or restuarant in mumbai (Corporate Law)

Posted On 29 August 2011 at 12:55

dear experts, please provide details of legal formalities and compliance requirements for starting a garment shop or opening fast food joint in mumbai suburbs.

To activate Click to Talk, e-mail at 

Expert : ajay sethi

Posted On 29 August 2011 at 13:01

where are you located ? if you are in bombay you will need a licence under bombay shops and establishment act . visit the website of muncipal corporation for various licences you will require for oening a fast food joint / garment shop

Expert : shastri j.k.

Posted On 29 August 2011 at 14:52

I agree with mr.ajay sethi

Expert : Dr Anil Kumar Singh

Posted On 29 August 2011 at 17:55

I agree with experts

Expert : prabhakar singh

Posted On 29 August 2011 at 18:41

me too agree with guidance given by Mr. Ajay Sethi

Expert : raj kumar makkad

Posted On 30 August 2011 at 09:17

To obtain a license to open a restaurant in Maharashtra, India, you will need to present certificates to your local police department demonstrating that you either own the property or have the permission of the owner. You must submit a plan to the Municipal Corporation and obtain its approval. The same government agency will issue you a utilization certificate, trade license and health license.

Additional Certification

You also will need to present a certificate from the fire department demonstrating that it will have no objection to your operating as a restaurant at the location you choose. In addition, be sure to register your business with the commissioner of labor as well as the director of Industrial Safety and Health, to obtain licenses qualifying you to participate in the Shop Act program, which authorizes businesses to monitor their own worker safety programs.

Complying With the Food Standards and Safety Act

Familiarize yourself with the 2006 Food Standards and Safety Act. According to this legislation, restaurant owners need to present the health department with documentation from a physician attesting to the fact that each member of its staff is healthy. The law requires physical examinations every six months. The state's Food and Drug Administration will regularly test food samples to make sure that they are free from food-borne illnesses and toxic chemicals.

Read more: What Licenses are Required to Start a Restaurant in Maharashtra, India? |

Expert : PS Dhingra, dcgroup1962@gmail.

Posted On 30 August 2011 at 09:34

I agree with S/Shri Ajay Sethi and Raj Kumar makkad ji.

Posted On 30 August 2011 at 17:46

Thanks to all experts for their comments and advised. Special Thanks to Sir R.K. Makkad for providing a detail information with the website links etc. which really helps and serve the purpose.