Does daughter-in-law has rights to cliam on father-in-law property if it is his self owned

This query is : Resolved 

Querist : Anonymous (Querist)
08 November 2010

I want to ask question does daughter-in-law has rights to cliam on father-in-law property if it is his self owned and her husband is alive and not intrested and not claiming on the property? All are hindu religion

To activate Click to Talk, e-mail at 

s.subramanian (Expert)
08 November 2010


R.Ramachandran (Expert)
08 November 2010

If the property is self acquired property of the father in law, then he has every right to deal with it in any manner that he likes. No one else has any right to claim any share etc., in the said property, so long as the said person is alive. If during his life time that person does not gift away that property; or disposes of that property in anybody's favour by way of will; then after his death, the property will go to his legal heirs by way of inheritence.

Querist : Anonymous (Querist)
08 November 2010

Thank you sir for your valuable note. I want to ask one more question on this. Currently daughter-in-law is forcefully staying in the house owned by father-in-law and her husband is staying separately and she is saying that after marriage she was staying at the same premises and her responsibility is also on father-in-law so she is saying if her husband wants to stay separately he can stay but she is not going to leave father-in-law house. So i want to know is there any law where she can stay without permission of father-in-law.

R.Ramachandran (Expert)
08 November 2010

Father-in-law has no responsibility to maintain or to give shelter to the daughter in law. The wife has to live with her husband. If the father-in-law objects, then the daughter in law cannot forcibly live in the premises of the father-in-law.

Chanchal Nag Chowdhury (Expert)
08 November 2010

I fully agree with Mr.Ramachandran.

Ramakrishnan.V (Expert)
12 November 2010

But if there has been a joint family status and if her husband has too has contributed for the development of the property, then the daughter in law can make a claim for and on behalf of her children.

Khaleel Ahmed (Expert)
14 November 2010

Mr.Ramchander well advised.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :


  LAWyersclubindia Menu

web analytics