Home > Experts > Family Law > Does daughter-in-law has rights to cliam on father-in-law property if it is his self owned

Does daughter-in-law has rights to cliam on father-in-law property if it is his self owned (Family Law)

Posted On 08 November 2010 at 10:28

I want to ask question does daughter-in-law has rights to cliam on father-in-law property if it is his self owned and her husband is alive and not intrested and not claiming on the property? All are hindu religion

Expert : s.subramanian

Posted On 08 November 2010 at 10:35

No.

Expert : R.Ramachandran

Posted On 08 November 2010 at 11:40

If the property is self acquired property of the father in law, then he has every right to deal with it in any manner that he likes. No one else has any right to claim any share etc., in the said property, so long as the said person is alive. If during his life time that person does not gift away that property; or disposes of that property in anybody's favour by way of will; then after his death, the property will go to his legal heirs by way of inheritence.

Posted On 08 November 2010 at 15:41

Thank you sir for your valuable note. I want to ask one more question on this. Currently daughter-in-law is forcefully staying in the house owned by father-in-law and her husband is staying separately and she is saying that after marriage she was staying at the same premises and her responsibility is also on father-in-law so she is saying if her husband wants to stay separately he can stay but she is not going to leave father-in-law house. So i want to know is there any law where she can stay without permission of father-in-law.

Expert : R.Ramachandran

Posted On 08 November 2010 at 15:53

Father-in-law has no responsibility to maintain or to give shelter to the daughter in law. The wife has to live with her husband. If the father-in-law objects, then the daughter in law cannot forcibly live in the premises of the father-in-law.

Expert : Chanchal Nag Chowdhury

Posted On 08 November 2010 at 20:23

I fully agree with Mr.Ramachandran.

Expert : Ramakrishnan.V

Posted On 12 November 2010 at 22:59

But if there has been a joint family status and if her husband has too has contributed for the development of the property, then the daughter in law can make a claim for and on behalf of her children.
Ramakrishnan.V.

Expert : Khaleel Ahmed

Posted On 14 November 2010 at 19:47

Mr.Ramchander well advised.